The mission of the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) is to commission research in sports medicine and science and, where feasible, establish standards for athletic equipment. Accordingly, the intent of the NOCSAE grant program is to commission investigator-initiated research and to provide support for education, health, and safety research and development. The NOCSAE research plan proposed by the applicant must be related to NOCSAE’s stated program interests. NOCSAE will fund awards under two separate mechanisms:
- Small pilot developmental studies that do not exceed $50,000 in direct costs for one year
- Traditional research projects that do not exceed $250,000 in direct costs over two years
NOTE: At this time, only applications for the small grant program with a budget cap of $50,000 are being accepted.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
NOCSAE invites all investigator-initiated proposals that address NOCSAE’S core mission. Specific research topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Studies that inform existing helmet safety standards
- Investigators developing youth helmet standards
- The mechanical and biological mechanisms of injury and recovery
- The application of developed tools and equipment for injury prevention
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES
- 2022 NOCSAE Research Grant Program Proposal Instructions
- 2022 Proposal Coversheet
- 2022 One-Year Budget Template
NOCSAE awards grants to organizations of all types (universities, colleges, small businesses, for profit, etc.) within North America. Our grant mechanisms allow an investigator to define the scientific focus or objective of the research based on a particular area of interest and competence.
- Read all information included in NOCSAE’s website related to applying for research. Strict compliance with all grant proposal instructions is required, or the proposal won’t be considered.
- Projects funded by NOCSAE typically address 1-2 well developed and specific aims.
- Ensure that the project includes both males and females. If there is not an obvious reason why the project focuses on only one gender, there must be an explicit explanation in the proposal.
- Ensure to the highest degree possible, equality in term of other demographics, including but not limited to age, race, ethnicity, etc.
- Projects related specifically to equipment design and development are not appropriate and will not be accepted. Projects analyzing athletic performance are also not appropriate.