Applying for Funding
The mission of the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) is to commission research in sports medicine and science and, where feasible, establish standards for athletic equipment. Accordingly, the intent of the NOCSAE grant program is to commission investigator-initiated research and to provide support for education, health, and safety research and development. The NOCSAE research plan proposed by the applicant must be related to NOCSAE’s stated program interests. NOCSAE will fund awards under two separate mechanisms, (1) small pilot developmental studies, (not to exceed $50,000 in direct costs for one year) and (2) traditional research projects (not to exceed $250,000 in direct costs over two years). NOCSAE is very interested in funding the small pilot development studies listed above.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
NOCSAE invites all investigator-initiated proposals that address NOCSAE’S core mission. Specific research topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Studies that inform existing helmet safety standards
- Investigators developing youth helmet standards
- The mechanical and biological mechanisms of injury and recovery
- The application of developed tools and equipment for injury prevention
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES
Due to the diversity and complexity of potential research proposals, NOCSAE has instituted a two-phase application procedure. Those interested in seeking funding are required to first submit a Letter of Intent. These brief, one page proposals are reviewed by the NOCSAE Board of Directors. The Board votes to invite Full Grant Proposals from these preliminary proposals after consideration of the current goals and the available funds. The invited full proposals are reviewed by a committee of national experts and their critiques are presented to the NOCSAE Board. The final decision for funding is made by the NOCSAE Board of Directors.
NOCSAE awards grants to organizations of all types (universities, colleges, small businesses, for profit, etc.) within North America. Our grant mechanisms allow an investigator to define the scientific focus or objective of the research based on a particular area of interest and competence.
- Read all information included in NOCSAE’s website related to applying for research. Strict compliance with all grant proposal instructions is required, or the proposal won’t be considered.
- Projects funded by NOCSAE typically address 1-2 well developed and specific aims.
- Ensure that the project includes both males and females. If there is not an obvious reason why the project focuses on only one gender, there must be an explicit explanation in the proposal.
- Ensure to the highest degree possible, equality in term of other demographics, including but not limited to age, race, ethnicity, etc.
- Projects related specifically to equipment design and development are not appropriate and will not be accepted. Projects analyzing athletic performance are also not appropriate.